Saturday, August 30, 2008

爱琴海民歌餐厅

MUSIC DREAMER LIVE! CAFE

+Recently, I discovered this 民歌餐厅 at Marina Square, and I was really excited. So, yesterday, Francis and I went to check this place out.


+First of all, the thing that struck me first was how down to earth the decor of the place was. It wasn't classy, or posh, or even cool. It was very simple, yet cosy. The cafe doesn't intimidate you, which is good.


+Next, the placed was 70% full when we went at 8.30pm. By 10pm, or earlier, the place was 90% filled. So, go early if you want the best seats and make reservations if you can.


+The singers there are GOOD. Trust me. When I say they are good, they are good. For those who know me better, you would know how hard it is for me to say a singer is good. But they are. They are discovered through auditions so they must have a certain cut to make it to the stage.


+Ok, maybe not that great 'cause most of them tend to go a little off-key at their 尾音. However, they are still really much better than your random karaoke kakis.They cover love ballads from the 80's up to recent hits and they do it well. (Well, they sing chinese songs only, but that's not the point.)


+The singers also double as their own emcees, and have the same kind of humour as Chendi.


+As for the people who go there, they are mostly 上班族who have just ended work, and they go there to unwind. So they are mostly 20+ to 30+. Haha. Just when Francis and I were saying how we were the youngest there, we spotted this HCI guy behind us. In uniform. Damn!


+Best songs sung yesterday were 下一个天亮, 你是我的眼(dedicated twice!)and 一眼瞬间. Yup, they do dedications and duets as well.


+As for the pricing there, it's around $15 for weekdays, which includes one drink. (Their drinks are named after love songs, it's hilarious.) Weekend(Friday's a weekend. We got scammed yesterday.) prices are around $20. I must warn you not to order thier food there. It's not expensive, but add the price of the food to the cover charge and seriously, you'd be better off at KBOX.


+And for those who's wondering now, I DID NOT attempt to go upstage to sing a birthday song to an imaginary friend.


+I recommend this place for small group gatherings, place to chill, and to go alone if you're really really depressed. Tel:6333 1933.


+Next stop: the famous 木船民歌餐厅!

No comments: